Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 42

Before sobriety; chop wood, carry water. In sobriety; chop wood, carry water. Externally, everything looks exactly the same in my life. If you didn’t know me you wouldn’t notice anything. Some of those who do know me are still a bit mystified and don’t see much of a difference, except maybe that my skin is glowing healthier. Internally, however my life is much different than it was 43 days ago. I’m spending time with and talking to God, my Higher Power, many times throughout the day and I’m taking care of myself. My thoughts and behavior are more in alignment. I believe it’s important to take care of myself and now I’m actually doing it.

The following daily self-care checklist contains my anchors:

When I wake up:

□ Say my prayer to God: “God, I surrender my life, my will and alcohol to you today and everyday and I thank you for your love and guidance.”

□ Take my pre-breakfast supplements (L-glutamine & Milk Thistle)

□ Shower, tooth care routine, facial routine

□ Non-thought meditation for 30 minutes

□ Breakfast/coffee/daily vitamins

□ aa meeting

□ Work


Every time I get in the car:

□ I say my prayer again to God: “God, I surrender my life, my will and alcohol to you today and everyday and I thank you for your love and guidance.”


Throughout the day:

□ Eat every 3-4 hours

□ Take a few moments to read something related to recovery (12 Steps, 12 Traditions, Hazelden Thought of the Day, Daily Word)


After work:

□ Write down how I feel

□ Exercise by taking a walk/lifting weights/yoga class/class at the gym/interval training


Before bed:

□ Take evening supplements (L-glutamine & Milk Thistle)

□ Tooth care routine, facial routine,


Weekly:

□ Journal/blog

□ Take a long walk with a friend

□ Do something just for me like get a massage or take a bath

□ Check in with my coach, friends and family by phone or in person

These activities help me address the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social aspects of my life and help me build a strong foundation in all those areas to keep me on a healthy path.